Sulon unveils sneak peek of the Sulon Q™, the world’s first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” headset for VR, AR and spatial computing
Forthcoming headset offers intuitive VR and AR that seamlessly maps the real world
so that you can fully enjoy and interact with the virtual one
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – March 14, 2016 – At the 2016 Game Developer Conference, Sulon Technologies Inc. today unveiled a sneak peek of the company’s forthcoming Sulon Q™ headset, the world’s first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” headset for virtual reality, augmented reality, and spatial computing. On stage in front of hundreds of press and developers at the inaugural AMD Radeon “Capsaicin” event, Sulon CEO Dhanushan “Dhan” Balachandreswaran showed off the Sulon Q™ headset giving attendees a glimpse of the intuitive experiences you can expect, including seamlessly transitioning from the real world to virtual worlds.
Highlights of the Sulon Q™ headset include:
- Distinct “Wear and Play” design – The Sulon Q™ headset lets you take every world anywhere thanks to its simple and intuitive all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” design. There are no confusing minimum specs to be concerned with. No tangled wires to hold you back. No external tracking systems for movement or gestures. Everything you need is on-board. Just put it on and go.
- VR and AR: The best of both worlds – Enjoy the best of virtual and augmented reality using Sulon’s advanced Spatial Processing Unit which combines revolutionary, real-time machine vision technologies enabling you to effortlessly enhance the real world through augmented reality applications, and seamlessly transition from the real world to virtual worlds. The Spatial Processing Unit is an innovative mixed reality spatial computer that provides real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition.
- Spatial computing with Microsoft Windows® 10 – Enjoy holographic computing interfaces once reserved for science fiction by placing applications in space in your own living room with a large, immersive 110-degree field-of-view. Multi-task like a professional putting transparent or opaque windows where you want using gestures or the wireless keyboard and mouse provided in the box to do things like surf the web in the Microsoft Edge browser or watch videos using Windows Media Player.
- Spatial redirection for endless virtual walks, even in your living room – With some smart perceptual tricks, Sulon’s real-time, spatial technologies let you walk around and explore virtual environments that are seemingly larger than the physical space you’re in. Enjoy a fully interactive VR experience in any space, letting you be a true participant in the virtual world, not just an observer from a single viewpoint or confined to moving using gamepads and controllers.
- Console-quality graphics and powerful processing – The Sulon Q™ headset harnesses the latest in processor technology using the recently launched AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture. The full performance of 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores are unlocked through a revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), enabling the cores to share memory to work together for dramatic performance and efficiency. The result is a solution that is optimized for modern workloads and media formats, capable of driving the latest graphics APIs including DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, and able to render stunning videogame console-quality visuals on a beautiful 2560x1440 OLED display. The Sulon Q™ headset also integrates AMD’s LiquidVR technologies to help ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences.
- Incredible spatial audio – Using AstoundSound® technology, used by the top game and entertainment studios in the world, the Sulon Q™ headset’s 3D spatial audio lets you hear sounds within a complete spherical soundscape with advanced room simulation software algorithms that provide outstanding depth perception using the headset’s 3.5mm audio jack in combination with custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q™ earbuds. For voice communication, the headset also includes dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.
“At Sulon we’re working incredibly hard to make exploring virtual worlds as simple and intuitive as exploring the real one, and the Sulon Q™ headset is a big step towards that,” said Dhanushan “Dhan” Balachandreswaran, CEO, Sulon Technologies Inc. “As a powerful and lightweight all-in-one solution that combines VR and AR capabilities with real-time spatial mapping, the Sulon Q™ headset offers an experience that’s unlike anything else. As we put the finishing touches on it and ready for launch in late spring, we hope everyone enjoys this sneak peek and is equally excited about the forthcoming headset as we are.”
“Sulon is the latest example of how AMD is helping to broaden the VR ecosystem, providing powerful graphics and computing hardware and innovative LiquidVR technologies to deliver an experience like nothing else,” said Daryl Sartain, director, virtual reality, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “The Sulon Q™ headset is unique in the industry, representing incredibly sophisticated technology that’s simple and intuitive to use, and a great showcase for what companies can do with Radeon technologies to deliver an exceptional VR experience.”
“Virtual and augmented reality is clearly moving beyond near-future novelty to a useful computing reality with new VR and AR hardware that brings to life the best of Windows 10,” said Peter Han, vice president, Worldwide OEM Marketing, Microsoft Corp. “Windows 10 is the best platform for VR and AR innovation, and the Sulon Q™ headset is a great example of how immersive computing can bring a fresh perspective to the familiar Windows 10 productivity that customers trust and depend on in work and in play.”
“When it comes to VR, what you hear is every bit as important as what you see in helping to create the sensation that you’re actually there in that virtual world,” said Jerry Mahabub, inventor of AstoundSound®. “The Sulon Q™ headset uses the AstoundSound® technology which produces the most accurate 3D spatial audio representation of how we actually listen in the real world, delivering the perfect auditory complement to Sulon’s incredible visual experience.”
More details on the Sulon Q™ headset will be revealed shortly before launch, expected late Spring. For more information, or to sign-up for updates, visit www.sulon.com
Sulon Technologies Inc.
Sulon is working to make exploring virtual worlds as simple and intuitive as exploring the real one. The Sulon HMD is the first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” headset for VR, AR and spatial computing that seamlessly maps the real world so that people can fully enjoy and interact with the virtual one. For more information, visit www.sulon.com.
Get high-res images and video of the Sulon Q™ headset on our online media kit here
Take a look at the new Sulon Q™ headset on YouTube here
See a sample of one of Sulon’s mixed experiences on Vimeo here